Friday, September 29, 2006

Bob Burns is a Great Guy





I just got back from another fine evening at the San Diego Natural History Museum.
Bob Burns brought the Original King Kong armature to the screening of King Kong (1933)
A real treat to see Kong on the big screen. But an even bigger treat was to see, hold and pose the original
Kong and Mighty Joe Young Armatures. I was in armature geek heaven!

Bob was letting folks from the audience hold and even pose the armature.
Pretty damm cool if you ask me. Both armatures are build like a rock, they still move well today.
For such an early armature it is an amazing piece of engineering and machining.

If you have seen the behind the scene stuff for Peter Jackson's new King Kong
you may have seen Bob. He's a great guy with all kinds of great stories.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelley Noble said...

you. touched. it. ? SQUEEEEEL. OMG, that's incredible!! You lucky lucky duck. That musta been a hella good evening.

Those hands, my gosh. That's how I'd like my pupps to be rigged. Heaven.

Monday, October 02, 2006 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Shelley Noble said...

Yes, Bob's great. What are you doing now?

Monday, November 13, 2006 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark --

There's an SMA thread going right now that I think you might be interested in.

http://www.stopmotionanimation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=4674&mesg_id=4674

...I wanted to repost the pic of Kong's hand there, but you put a copyright on it that I didn't want to go astray of.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:02:00 PM  
Blogger mefull said...

sven, please feel free, sorry for the slow response.

I am afraid the blog is on a bit of a hiatus till the first of the year.

Up to my eyeballs with alligators at work sort of thing.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home